“My baby is not eating anything all day” Many parents always complain like this even after the children eat according to their needs. Are parents paying as much attention to the child’s physical development as they are to the child’s mental development throughout the day?
As long as the child is physically healthy, he is fairly healthy, this is the idea that most parents have. But it is never right to measure the child’s physical well-being as the only measure of well-being. In addition to physical well-being, the child’s mental development or cognitive development is equally important.
Piaget’s theory of cognitive development is still popular around the world. Research by Swiss psychologist Jean Piaget has shown how a child’s intelligence develops after birth, how they acquire knowledge from nature and what is the difference between that knowledge and adult knowledge, or how these cognitive factors affect formal education.
What is the mental development of the child?
You noticed that your child was not playing with the toys, throwing them away at will. But you thought he would play with toys. As a result, you became very annoyed and noticed that the child was throwing whatever he could get his hands on through the window or on the verandah. You can’t imagine how naughty your child is.
This can be explained by the fact that children never do what they do on their own, they learn from what happens in front of them and try to do it themselves. That he is learning little by little, imitating, responding to you is part of his mental development or his cognitive development. Now whether the child’s mental development will be good or bad will depend on what environment you are giving him.
The level of mental development of the child
Some of the behaviors of children we adults sometimes get very upset about. Suppose your child is repeatedly told not to do something, but he does not want to understand anything! Or it is not possible to explain it in any way. To understand why it is not possible to explain to your child not to do the work or why the child does not want to understand, you need to listen to psychiatrist Jean Onion.
According to psychologist Jean Onion, a child’s mental development or cognitive development takes place in 4 stages from birth to adulthood. In the case of a child, it is only possible to enter another step after completing one step completely. And it is important for every parent to know these steps in order to understand the child’s mental state or level of knowledge according to age.
4 stages of the child’s mental development or cognitive development
- Sensorimotor Period
- Pre-operational Period
- Concrete operational period
- Formal operational period
Here Jean Onion mentions the duration of the stages in his research, but it is not at all conclusive. These times depend entirely on the child’s emotional development. If your child’s mental development is very good, he can cross one stage in a very short time and enter another. Again, if the mental development is slow, it will be prolonged, this is normal. However, every child achieves his mental development through these 4 stages.
- Sensorimotor Period:
The duration of this stage is from birth to 2 years of age. Sense means senses and motor means movement. In short, at this stage a child learns to get ideas about objects through his senses and movements. Which is why kids at this point imitate, throw something and like to hear the sound.
However, from the age of 1 to 6 months, the child does not have any object permanence. At this time, why there is nothing outside the way children see them! Object permeability begins to develop in the baby at a period of 11 to 12 months.
- Pre-operational Period:
The period from the age of 2 to 6 years is called pre-operational stage. Here the term ‘operational’ is used in the sense of logical thinking. At this stage children do not learn to understand logic. You cannot argue with a child of this level in any way because the child’s logical thinking does not develop at this time.
At this time children want to judge everything with them, for example, sometimes you will see children insisting on something to adults, which is easy for the child but not possible for adults. And the work that is not possible for adults can not explain to the child in any way, it is called egocentrism.
There is another subject through which a child can understand the changes of place, time, vessel is the ‘Law of Conservation’. At this level, the issue of ‘Law of Conservation’ does not develop in the child.
- Concrete operational period:
Children from the age of 6 to 11 are included in this stage. At this stage, two types of thinking start in the child. Just as they think about what they see in front of their eyes, they also start thinking about things that cannot be seen with their eyes. For example, love, anger, sorrow, etc.
That is, at this stage, a child begins to think about the subject. As a result, the egocentrism in the child gradually disappears and the ‘Law of Conservation’ continues to grow.
- Formal operational period:
Formal operational period or formal operational level throughout all periods of adolescence from the age of 11 onwards. It is at this time that a child enters adolescence after finishing his or her childhood, and as he or she grows older, concrete thinking becomes associated with abstract thinking.
As a result, things like the ability to hypothesize, emotions, feelings and love are gradually formed in him. Gradually, like an adult, his thoughts began to change.
How do you understand the mental development?
From birth to 1 year, a child will do nothing but eat, sleep and defecate. So usually after this some symptoms appear by which it is possible to understand whether he is developing properly or not. So it is important to monitor the baby well from this time.
How do you know if your child’s mental development is going well?
- At the beginning he will respond to your call or attempt to attract attention.
- Check the ability to remember to see if you can remember correctly.
- Children will learn to read at a very young age.
- There will be a lot of curiosity in the child, which will always be questioned to satisfy.
- Will be interested in music.
- There will always be an interest in taking control of something.
- Your child may have a deep knowledge of unusual interests, hobbies or something special.
- Some ideas will be formed about the ongoing events.
- Have a high sense of humor or be able to catch jokes easily.
- Create new and additional rules in the game when playing.
Things to do for the emotional development of the child
Both the father and the mother can play the most important role in the emotional development of the child. It depends on them whether the child’s mental development will be right or not. Technology and technology are very much available at this time, including products like smartphones, tabs, laptops, gaming devices, online games are more attractive to children. If they become addicted to attraction, these can be an obstacle to their mental development.
What should be done for the mental development of the child
- Make sure that a healthy environment is very important for the emotional development of the child.
- When giving your child a toy, make sure the toy is creative. Keep in mind that cognitive development can take place in him through toys.
- Appreciate any new attempt your child has to make, but never underestimate his or her potential.
- There is no substitute for reading books, make it a habit for your child to read books. If necessary, read it in front of him, it will create interest in reading his book.
- The child will try to express what he sees and remembers through pictures. Pick up the drawing material in your child’s hand.
- Do not present any failure in front of him in a frightening manner. If he is scared or ashamed of failing, he will no longer be interested in doing that job.
- Anything creative that is essential for emotional development can be music, dance, or choreography.
- Always expose the child to all the new and varied experiences.
- Encourage the child’s little talent and it will increase his interest.
- Always help to meet all the needs that are related to the child’s intellectual needs and emotions.
- Keep technology products out of the reach of children up to a certain age, and refrain from using them at home or in front of a child if necessary.
Today, the behavior of the child that is causing you annoyance will not last for a while. However, if you deal with this annoying behavior with annoyance, then the child’s mental development or cognitive development will be hindered.
So look at the child from his place, evaluate his thoughts, likes and dislikes patiently like him. Time will tell if your child is developing a little differently from everyone else.Reference: Piaget’s theory of cognitive development